Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Texas 'thang'

So I'm really not feeling that great. This cough has me up all night and now my entire upper body hurts from the forceful coughing. After a big coughing jag this morning, Ellie decided to make me a card. She started cutting the paper a la making a snowflake, then started decorating it. At the bottom, in large letters, she wrote, "Git Well Momie"

Here's the thing...as I'm working with her on her reading, we keep running into the proper pronunciation of the word 'get'. We often butt heads on it...I know it's hard to imagine butting heads with her ;-) Her plain and simple explanation is, "Mommy, if we say 'git', then why is it written 'get'?" I have to keep explaining to her that in Texas, people pronounce words differently... I'm starting to think that phonics doesn't really work here in the Lone Star State.

The kids have already begun to naturally use words like, y'all and fixin' to. Doug says 'preciate it on a regular basis. I think it's a losing battle. Poor Everson and baby Elvis haven't a chance down here...they're bound to speak Texan!

Then there's Erik, who came home a few months ago from church wanting to tell us that he knows who God's #1 enemy is...Satan...that's pronounced Cy-tin...

No comments: