Thursday, March 09, 2006
Allergy news... We visited the allergist this morning to learn the results of Erik's blood tests a few weeks ago. I left with questions answered, and a heavy heart. I'll start at the beginning. Dr. Charlesworth showed me the numbers (which is very helpful for me). A 'normal' non-allergenic 7 year old has IgE levels under 90. Erik's stand at 464.1. The IgE determines the allergens in a person's system, what you are allergic to. Then those IgE's are placed in 'Classes' from 0 to 6. Class 0 meaning no allergy to a substance, and Class 6 being the strongest. Dr. Charlesworth told me "We don't often see Class 6 allergies." On the environmental things, Erik scored in the Class 2-3 range for Cedar, Oak, Ragweed (2 kinds!), and Cocklebur (a southern fall weed). He suggested we consider beginning allergy shots for these things. We go back in 4 weeks with our decision. Now on to animals...I now understand why Erik had such a hard time at the rodeo...He has a Class 4 allergy to both Horses AND Cows!!! Cats, dogs, sheep and goats are also 3-4. Makes for an interesting life with rodeo and all kinds of horse competitions, not to mention sheep and goat ranches throughout the region. The foods all stayed the same...guess what milk was...an OFF THE CHART 6!!!! He's never had a patient with that high score. And now peanuts are on the screen. He's never had a peanut...now he can't at all. The dr. strongly urged me to get a medicalert bracelet for peanut and milk... But here's the heavy heart part...we are going wheat free for a month. His numbers suggested what Doug and I had been suspecting (and I've been in denial about). We've seen some symptoms in Erik that have made us wonder. Now we're going to try it. So this afternoon while Emma is at ballet, we're off to the Natural Food store to stock up on wheat-free baking stuff, etc. I'm really mad about it, but Erik seems willing to go with it to see if it will help him feel better. The heart wrenching thing for me is that in the past few weeks, Erik has been complaining about his allergies. Wondering why God allowed it and praying for God to take away his allergies. I'm feeling like this is going to be some kind of faith journey for all of us. I'll keep you posted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment