Thursday, February 15, 2007

EMMA'S BIRTHDAY PROJECT

So you know that Emma is turning 10 in just a couple of short weeks. (I'll let that sink in for a few minutes...)

She's having a Spa Birthday Party this year. I've recruited some friends to come help manage the 20-or-so girls we've invited to an afternoon of pedicures, manicures, facials and fun foods. When she turned 8, her friend party benefitted the new homeless shelter for women and children in Albany...a tea party for 17 girls...church made Easter baskets for all the children in the shelter...cases of laundry soap donated for the mothers...and a large financial donation was made as a result of hearing Emma's story.

This year, Emma wanted to collect $$ and send it to Will (this idea came around the time of the fundraiser in Albany). So we did some thinking, and some talking to Aunt Angie and Uncle Sam, and came up with the idea to support Will's Oncology Clinic. I had her write an article that I planned to include with her invitation and have shared with our adult sunday school class at church. Now, our coop is taking it on as a mission project...and the Air Force Base here in S.A. will be doing this as a community service project! Now I'll have to have a fundraiser to ship everything to NC!!! LOL. Thought you might like to read Emma's letter. I promise we'll post pictures of the party! Of course, you're more than welcome to come down for the party and see for yourself...did I mention that we don't have any snow here?! Here's her article:

My name is Emma Armstrong. I am turning 10 on March 2nd. I am in the fourth grade. My cousin’s name is Will Armstrong. He is 2 years old and has leukemia.
For my birthday, I am not getting stuff for myself. I want my friends to bring stuff for Will's cancer clinic like cool kid band aids, stickers, hats for the clinic Hat Wall and Happy Meal-type toys still in the wrapper (to avoid germs).

The clinic Hat Wall is covered with hats, so if a kid sees a hat he/she likes, they can wear it home that day.

You can meet my cousin Will at his website www.caringbridge.org/visit/williamarmstrong
Please pray for Will and all of the other children with leukemia and other kinds of cancer.

1 comment:

GrandmaNita said...

Emma,
What an amazing young lady you are!! We are so proud of you!

Deja and Doug you are doing a great job!!