Monday, June 27, 2011

Everson is keeping us on our toes...

Sunday morning came especially early for me.  I had worked until 2 am and wanted to sleep in until at least 9 to be ready to leave for church by 10.  Doug woke at 7:30 saying, "I wouldn't be waking you if it wasn't important.  Everson is showing all the symptoms of appendicitis."

Well now, didn't that wake me right up!  So did the cup of hot coffee.

Everson was lying on the couch, pale, with a fever, complaining about how much his tummy hurt.  I asked all the regular diagnostic questions, thinking in the back of my mind..."I really don't want to mess with the Emergency Room today"

So I call the pediatrician.  Our regular doctor is not on call, so a partner calls back a little after 8.  We go through the regular diagnostic questions, even having Everson get up and try to walk around.  "It hurts every time I take a step with my right foot, " he says with a moan.

The doctor says, "Well it could be a stomach bug, or constipation, or appendicitis.  I wouldn't wait for the Urgent Care to open at noon, I'd take him to the ER now."  Thank you doctor, that's just what I wanted to hear...

So at Doug's urging, I hop in the shower, grab a travel mug of coffee and a bagel, and leave some final before church directions and head off to the hospital with Everson.  Only Doug and I know that we're going to the hospital...everyone under the age of 15 thinks we're going to the doctor's office.

Everson moans at every bump in the road.  As I turn a block earlier than the doctors office, Everson wonders why we're taking a different way.  I explain that we're actually going to the hospital.

Everson moans with every step to the ER...I'm 7.5 months pregant and NOT picking up my 7 year old and carrying him across the parking lot.  Mean mom.

We get into the ER and he is evaluated rather soon.  Xray, blood work and 2 or 3 painful exams all before noon.  A CT scan is ordered to confirm diagnosis.  By 1:30, the surgeon comes down for a consult, cancels the CT scan, and by 3pm, Everson is wheeled into an operating room for the removal of his inflamed appendix.

About 40 minutes later, the surgeon appears to tell Doug and I that all went well and that Everson would be spending the night in the children's hospital.  We see our very very drugged and groggy boy and laugh as we follow his bed to the children's ward for admission.

Our pastor and his 7 year old son come by to visit Everson, who barely could talk, due to a sore throat and post op drugs.

I come home and pick up the 4 healthy kiddos and homemade cards and return to the hospital for a quick visit.  All kids are appropriately grossed out by Everson's 2 inch scar on his abdomen and the iv in his hand.

I leave the hospital with the kiddos and put the younger ones in bed and regroup from my Saturday night and all day Sunday of not being home.  Doug is much better at the hospital overnight than I am, anyway ;-)

By the morning, the report is that overnight there was a low grade fever and not much fluid intake.  And no eating.  The surgeon will not release Everson from the hospital until he is eating and drinking (and preferably passing some solid waste).  As of dinnertime today, Everson has found an appetite (48 hours after his last meal) and his thirst.    The solid waste thing...not a chance of incurring any additional pain for this 7 year old!  So we wait.  Another night in the hospital and a pleading mommy tomorrow morning, who thinks all would be much better to have the kid at home ;-)

We'll keep you posted.  I can't guarantee a phone call to give you the update...it's been crazy juggling kids and parents and Doug's work schedule (he took today off, but is going back to work tomorrow).  Just assume that we'll call if things turn south and that no call is a good thing ;-)

3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

I wish I were there to offer some tangible help. You're in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Glad you got him into the hospital, Deja. Tell him Aunt Angie remembers that pain all too well and that I'm praying for him with empathy.
Love you guys,
Ang

Nita said...

Oh no!! So sorry poor Everson had to go through all this!! Not exactly fun for you either! So glad you got him to the hospital so quickly! Glad he is now on the mend! Will keep him in my prayers.