Friday, March 17, 2006

It's been a long week... Erik has struggled with his new diet...especially missing wheat in his pasta and pizza. And chicken nuggets. And saltines. And ice cream cones. And tortillas. We've made some headway though in seeing some of his symptoms getting better. I pointed that out to Erik today and he agreed that it's better to feel better than to have wheat food...now it's mom's job to make it taste better. We've gone from him crying at meals last weekend to asking for another piece of pizza this evening!

I found a cookbook online that our library 'happened' to have called Cooking Free. It's written primarily for folks with Celiac Disease, AND for those with additional sensitivities to milk and eggs! Just published last year! Where was this book when we started this journey7 years ago?!?!? She's done all of the kitchen mad scientist stuff that I never knew how to do. Mix these funky flours with these ingredients and, voila! And the pizza crust tonight was tasty (Doug even said so!) Tomorrow is pancakes. I actually feel like I can do this for Erik...and cook from scratch, instead of buying the stuff.

The challenge now, however, is actually getting the stuff I need here in San Angelo! Ah the joys of living off the beaten path and having to order things from the health food store on Friday and waiting until Monday or Tuesday to get it...if their distributor even carries the product, that is. We've had one store bend over backwards to get some of our staples. It's been a blessing. They've tried to order some other things, but their dist. doesn't carry the item. This weekend, I'm actually going to order stuff online myself and have the UPS man bring it do our door! So there's been progress...due largely to the discovery of this cookbook! I told Doug that I had to buy the book if we're going to stay wheat-free for Erik (which we are assuming will happen).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice work, deja. give erik a hug for me.

will's allergies have been acting up too since we got here. spring has already sprung in NC and both his and my hayfever is making our eyes and noses run. we ended up taking him to an urgent care facility tonight because his eyes were all goopy and he was tugging at his right ear. sure enough he has allergy related conjunctivitis in both eyes and an ear infection. i feel sad for him and look forward to meeting up with an allergist SOON to make a game plan for learning how to enjoy the great outdoors here.

for now we're stuck inside in our controllable environment.